As we continue to think about providing ways for our children to grow in empathy, we wanted to share some opportunities in our community for families to give back. We've done some research and compiled a list of organizations or events that you may find interesting, especially if you would like to involve your children in active service leading up to Thanksgiving. None of these events are sponsored or organized by the MLS PTO, so we encourage you to make sure they are a good fit for your family. If you have good ideas to share that are not on our list, please send them our way! Also, we would love to have pictures of your children volunteering, so please email Mrs. Robertson photos !
- Earlysville 5K Turkey Trot & Kids Fun Run - benefits the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank
- Boar's Head Turkey Trot - benefits UVA Children's Hospital
- Salvation Army - they have many needs
- Loaves & Fishes - to stock shelves of food and help customers (minimum age 8)
- Toy Lift - donate toys or volunteer to help (Kindergarten teacher Meg Franco is involved with this organization!)
- UVA Thanksgiving Meal Match - run through the UVA International Center, this program matches up UVA students who cannot make it home for Thanksgiving with host families in Charlottesville so they can have Thanksgiving dinner. Contact Quynh Nguyen for more information.