We give thanks for the leadership of our administrators, Dr. Irani and Mrs. Robertson as well as all of our teachers who do so much day in and day out for our children. We give thanks for our office staff and maintenance staff who do so much behind the scenes to make Meriwether the wonderful place that it is.
￼We give thanks to over 100 volunteers who our teachers recognized last month for contributing in some way to the classroom! What an impact all of these volunteers have in our school!
We give thanks for the support of our Bluebirds Care initiative as we strive to teach our children to be empathetic and to give to others. This fall, Meriwether kids made a difference in our community:
- We sent letters to the police and firefighters,
- We made heart rocks for Martha Jefferson and UVA hospitals for those recovering from cancer,
- We made toys, beds, and donated other items to the SPCA,
- We sent care packages, letters and made paracord bracelets for our military,
- We made fleece blankets for seniors and donated them to Home Instead Senior Care,
- We made candy canes out of beads and donated them to a nursing home,
- We made cards for homeless women staying in shelters this winter that say "Have a Peaceful Night."
Thank you for supporting these projects and several others. We look forward to seeing what will come in 2016! ￼
We give thanks to all those who have attended our PTO community events this fall - particularly the Back to School picnic, the Rodeo Fun Fair, Game Night, and the Kids Market. Getting to know each other through these events makes our community connection even stronger.
We give thanks to those who have participated in our Annual Fund this year to support the Professional Development Fund for teachers, our new playground, and our world language program. 1st and 2nd grades were leading the way in mid December at 40% but other grades were catching up! If you have not yet given to the Annual Fund, we ask that you consider an end of year tax deductible gift by donating online (click here!). ￼
We give thanks to our PTO Board, Committee Chairs, and room parents for all they do behind the scenes to represent Meriwether on committees, to organize volunteers, and to plan events.
And we thank you for all you do to support all that happens at Meriwether Lewis Elementary School! We wish everyone a Happy New Year and look forward to a fabulous 2016!
Mindy Goodall and Peggy Williams, MLS Co-PTO Presidents